Alberta Angus Association History

Angus animals arrived in Montreal, Quebec by 1860 and some landed in Victoria, BC in 1874. The first recorded importation was in 1859 by Sir George Simpson, Governor of the Hudson Bay Company. No progeny was recorded, therefore credit for the first productive importation was given to Professor Wm. Brown at the Ontario Experimental Farm in Guelph, Ontario.

"The first of the breed born in North America" is commemorated on a bronze plaque in Guelph recognizing the birth of Eye Bright 2nd on January 12, 1877 sired by the bull Gladiolus.

In 1882 there were 323 Angus imported from Scotland. The Hon. M. H. Cochrane had his headquarters in Montreal and a ranch in Alberta. He purchased ten animals from Scotland in 1881 for the tremendous sum of $9,975. These were the days when top bulls were selling for $300. The town of Cochrane, just west of the city of Calgary, received its name from this early booster of Aberdeen Angus cattle.

By 1884 the Dominion Polled Angus Herd registry was established in Toronto. An unfortunate fire in 1894 destroyed all Aberdeen Angus manuscripts. Circulars were sent to all breeders in an attempt to reconstruct the records. A large number were secured and sent in, but many others were lost.

In 1905 the records were nationalized and the recording office moved from Toronto to Ottawa. Breeders decided to form the Canadian Aberdeen Angus Association to be incorporated under the Dominion Act respecting Livestock Records Association.

The Association chose not to recognize the Old Herd Register but to register all living animals. All animals to be registered had to pass a standard inspection by an authorized inspector, Mr. James Bowman of Guelph, Ontario. Expenses were paid by the Department of Agriculture. He reviewed the records and pedigrees of all Angus cattle in Canada and provided the data for the first Canadian Aberdeen Angus Herd Book published in 1908.

information from the Canadian Angus Association web site

Alberta Aberdeen-Angus Association - Founded in 1917

It was Mr. Kenneth McGregor, Professor of Animal Husbandry at the University of Alberta, who called a meeting of the Alberta Aberdeen-Angus breeders at the . of A. on January 24, 1917 for the purpose of forming an Association. Mr. J. J. Bell of Islay was elected as Chairman of the Meeting, and Mr. F. R. Cathro of Calgary as Secretary. The following Officers and Directors were elected:

Year of 1917
Hon. President: Dean Howes, U. of A.
President: G. H. Hutton, Lacombe
1st Vice-Pres.: W. J. Reid, Innisfail
2nd Vice-Pres.: Chas. Ellett, Strathcona
Secretary: F. R. Cathro, Calgary

Directors:
A. Noad, Olds; L. McComb, Huxley; Lew Hutchinson, Duhamel; F. Messervy, Lougheed; J. C. Bell, Morningside; C. R. Morton, Vegreville

Year of 1918
Hon. President: Dean Howes, U. of A.
President: G. H. Hutton, Lacombe
1st Vice-Pres.: Chas. Ellett, Strathcona
2nd Vice-Pres.: J. J. Bell, Islay
Secretary: N. F. Bell, U. of A.

Directors:
A. Noad, Olds; L. McComb, Huxley; Lew Hutchinson, Duhamel; F. R. Cathro, Calgary; S. G. Cowan, Delia; J. F. Day, Red Deer.

To the date of March 18, 1918, a total of 29 breeders had paid their membership dues to the Alberta Association, and in that number were Mr. Ken McGregor of Brandon, Manitoba, and Mr. M. A. Spottiswood of Tompkins, Sask.

Alberta information from "Canadian Angus History Update" - written by Lloyd Pickard